01 November, 2006

SI and Herbie

One...Stewart Mandel is a writer I have respected in the past and still enjoy reading. However, in the past he has taken some shots at Kirk Herbstreit (only the best and most popular analyst in all of college football). Today he takes another shot. Herbie made a comment comparing Michigan and Ohio State; you know, doing his job: analyzing college football. Mandel took issue with one line (calling Steve Breaston worthless). Now obviously, he did not mean Breaston is a worthless human being, but a worthless football player. Breaston is very fast and can return punts and kickoffs...but he has hands of stone, and is only effective on end arounds and reverses with the offense. Seems to me that Mandel may be just a little jealous of the attention Herbstreit gets every week on ESPN.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I found the article here. I'm going to have to agree with you. Stewart's off his rocker this time. Perhaps having to write every day about college football has caught up to him. He is my favorite college football writer (he even published my question awhile ago), but it seems this little nugget from him is nitpicking. Dumb. But... I don't really care. Herbie is right. Of course, perhaps Stewart should reread the transcript and figure out that Herbie didn't mean the guy is worthless as in a member of society. He was talking about within the context of UM's offense... and he's right (right now). That can change for Breaston any minute (like it did for Ty Streets when Shawn Springs slipped... right in front of me).

9:33 PM  
Blogger Bernie said...

Andy, great question BTW. It's funny that criticism of a football player's football abilities can get so many panties in a bunch. Breaston is a returner and can be used on reverses/end arounds. Bottom line, UM needs Manningham in Columbus to have a shot. BTW, the article to which I was referring was after the Fiesta Bowl, for Herbie cheering for OSU during the game, not while on TV. Pretty baseless, if you ask me. Again, he seems to ahve an issue with our boy Herbstreit.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

I don't get it. I wouldn't be offended if he (Mandel) cheered for Northwestern (hahahahahah!!!!). You should be able to cheer for your school and not be criticized. We have to listen to Bob Griese on television sometimes. The people bothered by this really need to take a breath. And, for the record, I do not believe Mandel has said anything anti-OSU. I think he likes the Buckeyes (and if he doesn't, he's really good at his job)

10:35 AM  
Blogger Bernie said...

I've never thought Mandel had an anti-OSU bias (of course, I've believed for several years Brent Musburger is pro OSU). I believe he has an anti-Herbstreit bias, but that may be just an ESPN/SI thing. Griese is bad, but no one is as bad as Dan Fouts during the Fiesta Bowl.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home