27 October, 2006

Jack Nicklaus

I have yet to comment about golf on this blog, but as a central Ohio native from an avid golfing family, this is really cool...from Bob Hunter.

When Jack Nicklaus dots the "I" during Script Ohio at the Ohio State-Minnesota game Saturday, rabid fans can take some solace that he isn’t another famous alum being given an honor that is meaningless to him. Nicklaus was a huge fan of the football Buckeyes while growing up in Columbus and said he was in attendance at this season’s Penn State game.
"From the time I was 6 years old, I missed only one Ohio State home football game, until I was 20," Nicklaus said. "Then it was because I played in the World Amateur Team Championship and for the Eisenhower Trophy at Merion Golf Club. Even then, I … walked around the golf course, carrying the radio and listening to the Ohio State-Southern Cal game while I was playing in the tournament. I shot 66-67-68-68 and won the individual title, so I shot 68 that day. If I hadn’t been carrying around the radio, maybe I would have shot another 66."


Also, on Thursday, Marla Ridenour had an article concerning the same event. Very cool; one of the classiest men in recent pro sports being honored for his legacy in a unique way. As for the game, not too much to say, as the Buckeyes should defeat Minnesota fairly easily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home