15 November, 2006

The Game

Damn, I can't wait. The anticipation and excitement is driving me crazy, and I'm 18 hours from Columbus. I can't imagine what I'd think if I were still in C-bus. This has been a fun week, looking forward to the game and ramping up my own excitement by indulging in the national hype. This may be the biggest regular season match-up in college football in over a decade (thinking of Florida-Florida State, 1 vs. 2, in 1996). But this rivalry is bigger, the hype is more intense, the passion runs deeper for this game. I will be in Columbus, but will probably be outside the stadium during the game, unless I can luck into a ticket. There are more detailed analyses all over the blogosphere, so I'll be short. Michigan has a hell of a defense, and especially when it concerns stopping the run. If the weather is good, and we can have success early throwing the football, Michigan cannot match Ohio State score for score. The Buckeyes, at their best, are too high powered. Now, if UM can jump to an early lead and force one or two turnovers, they can pound the ball with Mike Hart and bleed the clock. They have a great defense, but nationally, people seem to forget OSU is very good as well. Now, maybe we're masking weaknesses with turnovers, but this is a good defense. The Buckeye secondary (led by Malcom Jenkins, the best corner in the country) should be able to slow Manningham, Arrington and Breaston (by slow, I mean preventing long gains), forcing a large load onto the shoulders of Mike Hart. Also, the defense should force Henne to win the game by using short, underneath throws. UM has a great defensive line, but if Smith and company are successful early, Pittman should be able to run through seams in the D. Saying all this, I will not be making a pick, as I refuse to jinx my boys. But if all goes well, Ohio State should win. I am still too scarred by 1993, 1995, 1996 and 1997 to be overly confident.

PS...Ohio State has the better coach (can you ever remember a Tressel team being unprepared?) and better QB. Don't forget that while watching the Game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home