05 December, 2006

The Buckeyes and the BCS

I have to admit, I have mixed feelings on this game. I said it would take a monumental upset for UCLA to beat SC. However, from the seeing some of the game and the highlights, it just appears Southern Cal was (at least) a tad overrated. Many of us assumed if USC lost, Michigan would get their rematch...which is why we had to betray humanity and cheer for the Trojans. But, based on the strength of their SEC title game victory over Arkansas, Florida leapfrogged UM and secured their spot in Glendale January 8. I must admit, I had a smile when the pairings were announced. Living in Florida, I knew this would be an especially fun build-up for me. And for the last two days, it has. Co-workers and students have been having a lot of fun with me, s we've been doing lots of razzing over the game. Being one of the few Buckeyes in a sea of Gators is fun, let me tell you. I am avoiding talking trash, which is very difficult, as I hope to save my fun for January 9. Aside from all that, what is the deal with Jim Walden? Voting Florida #1 in the Harris poll?! WTF?!! If they beat the Bucks, yes Florida is the champ. But now, in a blatant attempt to sway the vote for UF, Walden proves that he is a moron and should be slapped on a daily basis, or made to sit in a room with Lloyd Carr for two days. I did not want a rematch, as the worst possible scenario for an OSU fan would be to lose to Michigan...personally, I feel UM is the better team. I proposed this to my brother (a Michigan fan) last Saturday after the UF victory...Florida v. Michigan in a neutral site (I suggested Nashville,Tennessee) on December 16 or 23, with the winner off to Glendale to face Ohio State. I would certainly watch that game, and I know many of you would as well. Besides, it may be just the spark needed to begin a playoff. Of course, many others picked up on my suggestion as well (Lou Holtz and Rob Oller echoed it, while Terry Pluto expanded upon it).
Other thoughts:
* Some say Jim Tressel is a wuss for not voting, but I have to think it was another stroke of political genius from The Senator.
* Why all this controversy over a second-place Michigan being left out? In 2003, the controversy was over Big 12 champ Oklahoma making it and leaving out Pac-10 winner USC. In 2001, again Pac 10 champ Oregon is left out for Big 12 North co-champ (and non-participant in the Title game) Nebraska. No matter, what happened this year, there was going to be controversy. After Auburn in 2004, I thought the voters would swing support to the SEC, which they did.
* If Ohio State plays up to their potential and does not make too many mistakes (like 3 turnovers in the second half), the Buckeyes should win. Florida is very athletic and will come close to us in that department; they have maybe the best secondary we've faced all season; but, like the UM game, our edge comes with the match ups of our 3, 4 and 5 receivers (Robiskie, Hartline and Hall) against their reserve corners and safeties. If Tressel and Smith can exploit match ups, the Buckeyes should win.
* Urban Meyer and staff are an excellent group, ranking with Tressel and company as and elite coaching staff, but I still like our chances.
* Both teams are resilient, clutch, gutty and skilled. Should be an excellent game.
* December 23 in Gainesville just got a lot more interesting.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I understand your position being in enemy territory. I live in Ann Arbor. I had to keep my trash talking to a minumum until I saw that Florida logo on the screen during the BCS selection show. I let out a loud yell of happiness. Go Bucks! Five and one against Michigan in the last six years. This is bliss. Let them stew on it for 365 days. No "do-overs"!

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home